Aug 2008 0
Summer is nearing an end, always makes me a bit sad. Just when I’m going for my first swim of the season and getting used to the sunshine and warmth, it’s almost over. Sigh. Summer in Canada is just not quite long enough. But it has been a good one regardless. Most of the festivals I played were plagued with wet weather here and there. Winnipeg’s weather was crazy — I have never seen so many loyal fans willingly sit thru a downpour and harsh winds. Thank you!!! During the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival (one of my favourite festivals), we had two very willing volunteers come up and protect us from the rain. They made great back-up singers! Check out this fun photo, taken by our lovely billets Mike and Rosie.
Highlights of the summer so far:
– playing for the first time at the South Country Fair in Ft Macleod (and meeting the incredible group of folks who run the festival) and at the Islands Folk Fest in Duncan
– being invited to the Lunenburg Festival (I last played there with the Jennys), being fed fabulous food by Louis, meeting all the incredible volunteers and programming staff, meeting other musicians, and playing the fabulous gospel workshop
– the “Rye Bread and Chedder Cubes” workshop at the Winnipeg folk fest (Manitoba party indeed!)
– being asked to take part in two Willie P. Bennett tribute workshops. Wow, what a songwriter. I also had the honour of meeting his mom and sister. Two very strong and lovely women.
– hanging out at the park with my wee nephew James (who had me climbing the monkey bars!)
– swimming in Whitefish Lake (MT) and Kalamalka Lake (BC)
– driving the Highway to the Sun through Glacier National Park (MT)
– seeing my dear friend Kelly and meeting her new baby BuBu
– the freedom of the road
In other news, my hand is slowly healing up! I still can’t use my index finger for playing but I’ve been able to get by. whew! It’s been an adventure.
I’ll sign off by saying that the Light Fantastic has just been nominated for a Western Canadian Music Award – Outstanding Roots Album. What an honour! I’m looking forward to the event, which is happening in Edmonton this year. Hope to see some of you there!
Wishing you an enjoyable rest of your summer, wherever you may be.
Peace and light –